Friday, July 22, 2011

Attack of the Drive-By Muse

Components, components.

Sometimes a vision is just a lot of components and you have to trust that your muse knows what she's doing.  That's how I feel about this fascinator I'm working on.  So far it's starfish and spheres with loops and twists and just a faint idea of how it will look when finished.

This is one of those things that I have a feeling about but it tends to make my knees shake wondering if I can pull it off.  I had the same feeling with my Urchin Choker and that turned out great so I keep reassuring myself with that.



Of course, there is always the issue with finishing a big unusual piece.....sometimes it just doesn't happen. The piece below is still sitting on my mannequin waiting to be finished.  It's a little bit further along than the picture shows although the fills have been taken out because they just weren't meeting my vision.



Sometimes our muses have more faith in us than we have in ourselves.
Or maybe they just don't have a grasp on how long these pieces take, and don't realise how frustrating their drive-by design attacks can be.

That said, I am endeavoring to live up to my muse (who might also be visiting Lady Gaga thesedays) and create the wilder, off the wall designs.
As someone who makes her living solely from selling tutorials this is quite scarey but I'm trusting that the components for these crazy pieces will lend themselves to more wearable designs and sales.
I'm not sure how creating a beaded sonic screwdriver will translate but it sure has me excited...and that's just how I need to be.

6 comments:

  1. I think the spiral-armed star is an incredible piece of bead architecture, Mikki! I can't wait to see the finished piece - it's going to be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! BELLISIMO TODO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful beadwork, very harmonic colours.
    Greetings Manouscha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your blog through a link on Craft Gossip. Your work is stunning. I mean jaw-droppingly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone :)
    Too funny....I'm being gossiped about? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :) I don't care for moderated comments but due to people posting ads in the comments section I've been forced to add this function.