Friday, October 23, 2009

Cock-sure?

I don't know if that's a term known here in the States but in England it means someone sure of themselves almost to the point of conceited.


As I was making my morning latte and reflecting on the response to the first showing of my Petit Paquets piece last night that was the word that came to mind. As in "feeling a little cock-sure are we?" It's funny really because it's like a 180 from the truth. I am chock full of self doubt and it's the self doubt that whispers those things in my ear whenever I get a feeling of being on the right track.


So maybe it's a good thing? A signal that I am on the right track? Gee, I sure hope so because this book idea is not turning out the way I had planned...lol! I had imagined my first book would be about beaded flowers or Gothic inspired beadwork but it seems Morganna has a different take on it and she wants to see shape and form. She's certainly got me excited and I can't wait to see what she's got cooking for the other chapters. There are six chapters to the book each deal with a different sculptural form and a few projects with that form. Now....I know what the chapters are going to be ~ Petit Paquets, Urchin Spines, Corkscrews, Cathedral Windows, Pyramids and Octapussies but how these all will take shape is ...your guess is as good as mine. I have vague pictures in my mind, I can almost see the pieces but it's not till I actually start beading that they come together.


So, though I am definitely not cock-sure, I think Morganna is. Let's hope she's right.


Doing the blog rounds this morning I was catching up on Rachel's blog http://rachelnelsonsmith.blogspot.com/ and discovered she's working on a new book (I've mentioned her hot new book "Seed Bead Fusion a few times). She's writing the proposal and says she has some of the pieces done for it. That's cool....and I feel kinda connected to know that she's going through the same process I am. Of course the difference is she has publishers who are dying to have her do a new book and no publisher's know I exist. Well, that's not strictly true.....the people over at Interweave Press do know my name and have published some of my work so maybe I have a pinky toe in the door. (Boy that would hurt!)

I'm dreaming big....I'd like to be in that upper echelon of beaders who get to do all the wonderful teaching gigs....cruises, retreats, etc. A gal has to have a dream.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :) I don't care for moderated comments but due to people posting ads in the comments section I've been forced to add this function.